Error

reCAPTCHA plugin needs a site key to be set in its parameters. Please contact a site administrator.

Mountain bike routes in South Africa

Web support
Send an Email
(optional)
(optional)

Get the books

Our books are available at Exclusive Books, Loot, Map Studio and probably other leading book stores.

Buy us a beer

PLEASE NOTE: This site is a flippen labour of love, brought to you for nada. Niks. Free of Charge. If you'd like to contribute some Bucks, please do - bank details below, but I'm not holding my breath wink

ABSA Cheque Account
Name: T. J. Marais
Branch Number: 312109
Account Number: 011 3130 0014
Any donation over R300 will receive a free copy of MTB TOP TRAILS 2 or MORE MTB TRAILS; just remember to send me Proof of Payment and a Delivery address!

Who is mtbroutes?

Name: Jacques Marais (Cape Town, South Africa) - Riding since age of 4; first a red tricycle, then a succession of three-gear dikwiels on the Baviaans River farm roads.

Editorial Role: Author & Photographer; General Dogsbody

Favourite local trail: Oak Valley, Grabouw

Favourite international trail: Slick Rock and Poison Spider, near Moab, Utah, USA

Bike(s): First post-dikwiel MTB was a Giant Iguana; now riding a GT Sensor 1.0 and a Silverback Slider 275. Check out my ride here.....

Real Job: Director: Jacques Marais Media; award-winning photographer and author; works with a dozen-plus premium publications around the world.

Name: Chris Hitchcock (Cape Town, South Africa) - Riding since age of 5; first an old red ‘hoogsit’ that was 2 sizes too big, followed by a string of decrepit rust buckets, cobbled together with lots of enthusiasm and zero budget.

Editorial Role: Social Media Slut

Favourite local trail: Harkerville in Eden near Knysna

Favourite international trail: Whistler Mountain Bike Park in Whistler, BC, Canada.

Bike(s): Went from an initial and shameful start on road and triathlon bikes, to a Raleigh RDS9 dual susser which is so strong and heavy that it is still giving stirling service some 6 years later. Check out my ride here.....

Real Job: Director: Chris Hitchcock Images

Name: Paul Jaques (Cape Town, South Africa) - Started riding at 4. The usual tricycle > 1 speed with training wheels > 3 speed > 10 speed > Full suspension mountain bike progression.

Editorial Role: Website administrator

Favourite local trail: Red Hill, Simonstown (well, It's the one I ride the most, 'cos it is in my back yard), or taking the Old Wapad opvok via Silvermine into Tokai.

Favourite international trail: Does the old 'Transkei' count?

Bike(s): Had a couple of road bikes before my first full susser Proflex. Now I have my bulletproof and much loved GT I-drive 2.0 sharing a stable with a new Silverback Mercury 2. Check out my ride here.....

Real Job: Self employed architect, web designer and graphic artist. And anything that comes along that tickles my fancy.....

Name: Johan Pieterse (Stellenbosch, South Africa) - Riding since the age 4. The usual tricycle > 1 speed with training wheels > 3 speed Raleigh bicycle > 8 speed GT Avalanche 3.0

Editorial Role: Website administrator, Trail updates and Videos

Favourite local trail: Oak Valley Trail in Grabouw, best single track ever!!

Favourite international trail: Don't no, never been oversees.

Bike(s): Proud Silverback Technologies Brand Ambassador! Riding new Mercury Comp 29er. Check out my ride here.....

Real Job: Postgraduate student at  the University of Stellenbosch