Closest Town: Stellenbosch
Grading: Easy | Duration: 1 - 4 hours
Location (Area/Province): Peninsula and Winelands and Western Cape
Configuration: Options from 10–76km
Start Point: The Radish Restaurant - for other start points, see www.bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za for full details
Access: Annual or daly permits (except Overgaauw) from start points
Beware of: Heat in summer, steep downhills, loose surface, off-camber corners. Devil Thorns around - DO NOT attempt these trails without tubeless tyres/slimed tubes at the very least! You have been warned :-)
Facilities: Restaurant and wine sales
Premium and Curated Trails Only
The Bottelary Hills MTB route runs over 20 farms in the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy area just outside Stellenbosch. Funds from the MTB route are used to fund the conservancy.
There are three starting points to the route, but we will be starting at The Only One Restaurant on Bottelary Road.
On your bike
From the start, follow the pink arrows that mark the trail, and ride towards Table Mountain in the distance. Ride past the cellar until you get to a brick road and turn left to the top where you will see markers for both the Orange and Red routes
For the Red route, turn left and meander from farm to farm on undulating jeep track amid rolling hills. There are some challenging climbs and lots of off-camber turns on lose surfaces, but only 1.5km of singletrack at the very top of the Red route.
Along the way are various coloured options that will add distance to the ride (Yellow 10km, Blue 6km, Green 13km, and Orange 9km). Toward the end of the Red route, it merges with Orange to take you home – trails are well signposted and maintained.
All the trails are on private land with permission from the landowners, as a result strict rules apply to use of the trails. The trails are varied and appeal to riders of all capabilities. The hallmark of the trails is the scenic beauty and incredible views of the Winelands, Table Mountain, False Bay and other surrounding areas.
Red Route “Main Route”
• 27.5km with 705m of climbing
• jeeptrack through renosterveld, farm and vineyard paths
• medium to challenging riding – 3 singletrack sections 1.8km, 2km and 1.3km
• stunning views
• 3 climbs, a moderate 2.5km, challenging 2km and challenging 1.3km
• 6.5km with 140m of climbing
• farm roads along the edges of water resevoirs
• 3km singletrack
• easy to moderate riding
• 11km with 313m of climbing; include “Rooikat” singletrack for 13.5km with 380m climbing; include ‘long green loop” for 18km with 580m climbing
• jeeptrack through renosterveld and farm roads
• 3 single track sections (1.8km, 1.8km & 1.4km)
• from Hazendal to start of the Green Loop is 19km; from Zevenwacht to start of Green Loop is 1.7km
• a moderate 2.5 km climb
• 9.3km with 155m of climbing; from Devonvale Hote to start of the Orange Loop is 2.8km
• ideal for beginners and the “not-so-fit”
• jeeptrack and farm roads through vineyards
Off the bike
Restaurant and wine sales are available.
GPS: 33°52’44.07”S 18°47’36.74”E
For his contribution to our community over the past 10 days, we're sending @milky4130 off to compete in the Stanford MTB Classic!
Good luck Malcolm, give it horns!
Sign up and find out more about our community, challenges & competitions, prizes and much more!